The call for applications is open for the next CHwB Regional Restoration Camp, which will take place in Gjirokastra, Albania from April 28 to May 12, 2012. Apply soon! The DEADLINE is March 30!
During a two week period this spring, 50 students and young professionals from around the Balkans will gather in one of the most astonishing UNESCO protected cultural sites in the region, the World Heritage City of Gjirokastra, Albania, to participate in what has become a prominent activity in this field for Southeastern Europe.
For the 14 days of the camp, participants will follow a rigorous but very fulfilling schedule, which combines theory – through lectures and presentations – with exercises and actual restoration work on world heritage monuments in the historical center of Gjirokastra. We will be working with inhabited monuments, directly helping the residents of Gjirokastra with the repair and conservation of their valuable houses. Through discussions raised with the monument owners, we will share knowledge about basic repair techniques, which will give owners the incentive to perform regular upkeep within their own capacities.
Our camp will strive towards answering various theoretical questions related to restoration and conservation techniques, as well as answering technical questions such as:
- How do you analyze stone walls, stone cracks and wall deformations in order to propose the best restoration interventions?
- How do you recognize and work with different types of wood?
- How do all of these traditional materials interact with one another?
Also offered during this camp:
- Study visits to the city’s medieval castle, historic churches outside Gjirokastra and the Archeological and Natural World Heritage Site of Butrint, along Albania’s Ionian coast
- Archaeological site surveying, with the opportunity to learn about site interpretation and spatial analysis, conducted at the archaeological site of Antigonea, 14km south of Gjirokastra
- Optional drawing class, running parallel to camp activities
All interested candidates should try to apply as quickly as possible, as the deadline of March 30, 2012 is quickly approaching. This is an event you will regret missing!
Download a copy of the invitation and application here (below)!
If you have any questions about the application, feel free to email Gea Demiraj at gearda.demiraj(at)chwb.org .
Last Newsletter (1/09)
Alipašina 7/II, 71 000 Sarajevo,
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Phone/Fax: +387 (0)33 55 23 76